I forgot to take a picture, but I made some absolutely yummylicious soup last night that I feel the urge to brag about. When I finally sat down to total it all up, it came out to only 58.3 calories/cup. A 2 cup bowl paired with a salad was myperfect dinner last night, and I’m posting the recipe here at least partly so I don’t forget how I did it…
- 1 cup sweet peppers, chopped (I used a little each of red, yellow and orange)–25 calories per fitday
- 1/3 cup sweet onion, chopped–21 calories per fitday
- 1 rib celery, chopped–6 calories per fitday
- 1 bag frozen sweet corn (mine was steamfresh from birdseye, 70 cal/serving, 4 servings/bag=280 for the bag)
- 8 cups fat-free low sodium chicken broth–80 calories
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal–30 calories
- 2 tablespoons fat free sour cream–25 calories
- Fresh cilantro to taste ( I had about a quarter of a cup)
- Put the corn in the microwave for half the time on the directions
- In the meantime, saute the rest of the chopped veggies with a little spray over medium high heat in a soup pot til the onions start to go translucent and everything starts to get soft.
- Throw the corn in with the veggies, mix it around, still over medium high heat, til it just starts to get a little brown on it.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Turn down to medium and simmer till all the veggies are cooked through.
- Use a slotted spoon to take most of the veggies out of the broth (This is to taste, but I wanted it mostly smooth and somewhat thick, so I did almost all) and put into the blender. Give the veggies a whirl til they are smooth, then add back into the soup.
- Mix well, then add the cornmeal (to thicken, not totally necessary) and sour cream. Add in a little chopped cilantro for color & flavor, and it’s ready to go.
Now, one of my favorite foods is the crab & corn chowder at Bonefish. I love that stuff, and used to eat it almost daily during my last pregnancy. This isn’t exactly the same, but it hit the right spot for me. I think next time I’ll plan ahead and have a little crabmeat around to add to the pot. It came out to about 8 cups of soup, 467 calories, 8.3 gm fat, and 10.7 gm fiber total. That’s 58.3 calories, 1 gm fat, and 1 gm fiber per cup, or 1 point/cup. Yummylicious. I’ll try to take a pretty picture of it before my leftovers later today 😉 Enjoy!!!